Tapestry - A Sense of Belonging
- Inner City
- 07 Aug 2017 - 30 Jun 2020
Tapestry: A Sense of Belonging, is an after school transition program for refugee adolescents. By definition, refugee means displaced and it is Art Cabriolet’s intention to create a safe space wher...
Tapestry: A Sense of Belonging, is an after school transition program for refugee adolescents. By definition, refugee means displaced and it is Art Cabriolet’s intention to create a safe space where belonging, place and community can flourish. Through creative collaboration of art the group will be encouraged to weave their stories through the canvas. A piece that will tell all their stories and help define and nurture a sense of belonging.
The art process supports a way for them to share their dreams, hopes and lives through images and symbols. Art will provide the platform for these refugee adolescents to become witness to their journey and bring an awareness of their own potential. The Art Cabriolet offers a space where they are free to express themselves creatively without judgment or evaluation of their work.
Positive outcomes intentions of the Art Cabriolet program:
Positive developmental outcomes supported by trauma-informed art therapy intervention. Based on Perry’s (2002) six developmental outcomes that serve as guideline for informally evaluating psychosocial growth:
- Attachment – capacity to form healthy relationships with others
- Self-regulation – ability to notice and regulate physical responses (sleep and eating patterns) and trauma reactions (anger/fear/anxiety)
- Affiliation – ability to join in and contribute to group
- Attunement – recognition of needs, strengths, interests and values of others
- Tolerance – capacity to understand and accept others differences
- Respect – appreciation of one’s worth and worth of others